Thursday, March 20, 2014

Painting Drama 2 at the Oatley Academy Part 1

I was privileged to be among the first students of the Oatley Academy when it was started by Chris Oatley in August of 2012. I was among the first to experience the mind-blowing awesomeness of his class Painting Drama 1. Ever since I have been a loyal fan of the academy. It has been life changing to say the least.

Last month I started taking Chris's awe-inspiring course, Painting Drama 2. Unlike Chris's Magic Box digital painting course which is done all online (which is also phenomenal and I highly recommend), this class is done live in real time. It is amazing to interact with Chris and the other students, many of which were in my first Painting Drama class. I learned so much in the first class, and now my mind is being blown again! 

Whereas the first Painting Drama class was all about the structure and composition of an illustration, this class is all about color. I thought I knew and understood color. I even read Color and Light by James Gurney, which is amazing by the way, and every artist should read it. But there is so much I never thought about or learned in this particular way, especially from a digital painter's point of view.

 Below are a few of the assignments I have been working on for the class. I have been using a lot of my sketches from my book Brunhilda's Backwards Day to play with the different color assignments. 

Color swatches to portray mood of a scene


Split complimentary palettes.



High key and low key monochromatic/analogous. 

High Key Magenta


Low Key Magenta


Experimenting with different times of day and weather conditions.

Sunset


Foggy


Rainy


Morning light


11 comments:

Scott Wiser said...

Wowsers, Shawna. I now wish I had taken the class alongside you! I am in awe of your newfound color knowledge. PD1 and Magic Box are awesome ... but wow, PD2 took your work to a whole new level!

Manelle Oliphant said...

These look so great. What an interesting way of learning about color. I love what you've done.

Shawna Tenney said...

Thank you guys so much! I am really enjoying it!

Scott, I too wish you were in the class. But you will be able to take it later. In the meantime, I'm excited to see where you will go with this story you are writing!

Rob Smith said...

Terrific blog! Your art really is getting better and better. I'm enrolled in Painting Drama 1 and the Magic Box. Painting Drama 2 looks awesome!

Shawna Tenney said...

Awesome, Rob! Enjoy Painting Drama 1 and the Magic Box. So much mind-blowing information! You should definitely take Painting Drama 2 next year if you can!

Rebecca Gliko said...

Beautiful work, Shawna!
I'm so excited to get in on Painting Drama 1 this summer and I'm really enjoying the Magic Box. Are you coming to Denver Comic Con again this year? I can't wait to catch up!

Amy said...

Wow! Great work Shawna! I'm really enjoying seeing your progress.

Tegan Clancy said...

Lovely to see all your growth in one post! Amazing work as always Shawna, love being on this journey with you and Scott wish you were in the class too!

pencilsandstories said...

Great post Shawna! I love how you`re growing even more as an artist, seen you do it in PD1 and now here, keep up being awesome!

Shawna Tenney said...

Tegan and Henrike, it's been so fun to see the amazing things you are doing in the class too!

Amy! I miss you! I know you are doing great work too! Glad to see you here!

Shawna Tenney said...

Rebecca, sadly I won't be at Denver this year. Our Comic Con got HUGE in Salt Lake. IT was so huge, they are doing 2 this year! Also, I'd love to save up for CTN. If I can make it there, I will see you there!