Monday, December 09, 2013

PiBoIdMo: I did it!!


Hi friends! I am back! My arm is out of the splint- thank goodness! Bone is healed! Now I am doing physical therapy to help get back my rang of motion and making improvements every day.

The month of November was a bit crazy for me! Besides breaking my arm at the beginning of the month, I was also working on Rosie the Reindeer Kickstarter backer prizes and three freelance jobs. I survived! I also was participating in PiBoIdMo- Picture Book Idea Month, hosted by Tara Lazar. I never posted anything about participating in the challenge, because I was afraid like many of the other challenges I have taken on that I would not be able to finish the challenge.

Well, guess what?! I finished the challenge! I came up with 32 picture book ideas in 30 days. Not all of them are good, but some of them are great, and I can't wait to start parlaying them into picture book manuscripts and dummy books!

Some great things I learned from PiBoIdMo:

First thing that I learned:

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." - Jack London

I have realized this is really true. I took time every day to think about ideas. I took a notebook with me everywhere. I went on long walks and wrote down little ideas when they came. I wrote lists and lists of people, articles of clothing, and settings and came up with great combinations by simply taking the time. This has become a great pattern that I want to keep going. You have to work for your ideas!

Another thing that was reinforced to me is that I can make personal goals and go through with them! No matter what other projects I have going on or what broken bones I may have, if I make my own projects a priority, I can get them done!

A big thank you to Tara for running this great program! Now on to writing some great stories!!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

You are awesome! I wish I could read that idea list.. your ideas are so great. And yay for healing up!