Thursday, June 06, 2013

Composing in an Odd Space


Sometimes for certain illustration jobs, you are asked to compose your illustration in a certain space. In this case, this was a job I did for Triumph Learning. They gave me a very odd shape to work with. I had to be creative in how I fit things into the space. It was kind of fun because the odd shape made me think outside the box as far as my trees and bushes went, and I was able to come up with some fun shapes. If you've never had to do this before, try it sometime! Draw an odd shape, and then illustrate a Nursery Rhyme or another simple story you know and make yourself come up with a great composition within that shape. You may be surprised with the results!

4 comments:

Alison K Hertz said...

Looks like you did a fantastic job! I really like the crazy trees and bushes.

Shawna Tenney said...

Thanks, Alison!

Tracy Campbell said...

Great tip. Love the shapes and colors. :-)

Joanne Roberts said...

You've made a beautiful choice of palette and I like how your style shows through even though the subject matter is simple.