Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Sketchbook Project #1





Since I am a children's illustrator, I thought it would be fun to set my whole sketch book kind of like a story. First I am introducing the characters that will participate in the Science Fair. I'm not going to worry that they are not perfect. This is a sketch book afterall. No Photoshop corrections here! I'm

Tell me if every single one of these kids didn't go to your Jr. High/Middle School. I will give you 5 seconds to guess which character is an exact replica of me in 7th grade. If you guessed the brace face girl with floods, you would be exactly right. Yes, I did have braces, glasses, and flood pants because I grew so dang fast. I was 5'6" in 7th grade. And that collar the girl is wearing, I really did wear a collar just like that over my shirts in 7th grade. It was a cutsey thing my Aunt made for me and my cousins for a family reunion. One day a popular girl told me it was cute, so then I wore it every day...until I realized she was really making fun of me. I also wore braids in my hair, which didn't go over too well either. Sad. Jr. High is a sad sad time of life. Warren told me that he was an exact replica of bad hygene boy with greesy hair. Sadly, it is true. I've seen pictures. Which one of these kids were you? Speaking of which, you all need to see "Diary of a Whimpy Kid." Loved it!!

If you have any other great Jr. Highisms, send them my way. They may just end up in the sketch book! I love this sketch book thing! It's stretching my brain!

3 comments:

Kristin Dudish said...

How great are these?!?

It's like a blast from the past!
I can't wait to see what else you sketch :)

Bethany and Thomas said...

I LOVE THESE SO MUCH! And I knew that girl was you even before I read your explaination. I was laughing so hard! I hated those little collar things. All you need is a New Orleans t-shirt and a pink bow on your head (that was probably a little before 7th grade, but that picture is burned in my memory). I love the science fair participants idea! They are all classic.

Michelle Henninger said...

These are fantastic sketches! And I looked very similar to brace face girl, except without the braces. I think I wore the same shirt in my 8th grade photo. Jr. High/Middle school is a very painful right of passage! Way to capture the characters of that age.