Friday, January 08, 2010

I Don't Know How to Watercolor

My friend Manelle is doing a sketch a day. I thought that was a good idea. So I am going to try and do the same thing. I'm not going to post every sketch I do as I am a busy mom and I'm sure some sketches will be quite quick and horrid looking. But I will post some every now and then that I think are decent. So now the word is out, and I'm committed. If any of you want to join in on the fun, please do!

Ballet was once my life, now my life is my family and my art when I can work it in. I have often thought that ballet has probably influenced the way I draw as I really enjoy drawing graceful lines. I did this sketch quickly with some watercolor. I really haven't used watercolors since high school and that is another goal of mine- to learn how to watercolor. So here I go!

I also want to learn how to draw better characters. Here was my first little character sketch.

I do like the feel of watercolors. Whenever I talk to art directors, I often get the comment that my illustrations have a "mass market" feel. I think this means they look a little more cartoony than they would like for trade books. I really really think it would be totally neato to illustrate a trade book. So I am going to experiment with a few things: watercolor, pastels, and I am going to work on making my acrylics look less mass-markety. I guess we'll see what I will come up with.

What goals do you have with your art this year? I'd love to hear from any fellow illustrator readers I may have out there. :)

4 comments:

kevbrett said...

I don't claim to be an illustrator, just someone trying to learn some stuff, so can't offer any insight, but I love what you've done here with the watercolours! Would love to do a sketch a day but time won't allow. I look forward to seeing more piccies!

Manelle said...

Shut up! These watercolors are beautiful!!

roz said...

I hear you, I'd love to get trade work as well. Wish I could tap into how I can make that work. This year I am going to learn Corel Painter. Not sure how it will help but I'm sure It will help me grow somehow some way.
Enjoy your watercolors! Looks like your off to a wonderful start.
Happy New Year.

TheIcePixy said...

Just doing art at all this year will be a pretty big accomplishment for me. I like the idea of a sketch a day, but I don't know how realistic a goal that is for me right now. Maybe once a week . . . or a month. :}