Sunday, November 15, 2009

SCBWI Conference 2009


This weekend I had the opportunity to go to the SCBWI (Society of Childrens Books Writers and Illustrators) Conference. This is a pretty fabulous conference to go to because they bring in an art director from a major publishing house! This year they invited Laurent Linn from Simon and Schuster. A portfolio critique directly from art director is definitely one of the most helpful critiques I've ever had. I love hearing the new ideas and suggestions from someone who really knows what's marketable in today's industry. Elizabeth Law, editor from Egmont U.S.A. was also there, and she also had some great things to say. It was a great weekend. I learned a ton, and I'm pumped and ready to make my work better!

7 comments:

dwilson said...

Ah, I so miss you guys! I'm going to an animation conference in Burbank so I wasn't able to attend. Know that my heart was breaking and wanting to see you all again.

----Jenni is moving back to Utah!!--

Shawna said...

We missed you too, Dave. Have fun at your animation conference! I'm so excited to see Jeni again!!!

Tanja said...

Just got introduced to your blog via JacketFlap: very nice artwork you do!

After reading through a previous post about your acrylic painting process and the drum scanner issue, I wondered if you had found a solution yet for your paper choice?

t

Manelle said...

That picture turned out pretty well. I wonder what I'm looking at though. We'll probably never know.

Niel Jr. said...

Manelle, you were looking at the faint yet present ghost of me.
~Julie

missing you all....

Niel Jr. said...

Sorry, apparently I am logged in under my husband.

I guess I would have to be, as a deceased personage.
~julie (again)

Shawna said...

We're missing you too, Julie, oh deceased one. We were just talking about you the other day and how much we miss you!