Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Prodigal Son






Well, good news, the book that I finished last September is now out and in print- The Parable of the Prodigal Son. This is of course one of Jesus' well known parables from the New Testament in the Bible. This version is written in a rhyming style by Erik Rottman and it's an Arch Book published by Concordia Publishing house. Above are desplayed a few images from this book that I thought turned out alright!

This was the first book I painted all digitally (Photoshop). I really didn't know much about digital painting when I first started, but I learned a lot from friends along the way. Thanks, Maryn and Manelle. Thanks to the blood, sweat and tears of this book, I am now much faster and more wise in the ways of digitalness.

For the last couple of weeks I have been taking a small break from illustrating after a long stretch of non-stop illustration work (which I was very grateful for). Over the last couple of weeks, I have been working hard on getting our condo ready to sell- painting, floors, countertops etc. I have discovered I have been feeling very stressed, and somehow it's a bad kind of stress that I don't like. With illustration I get stressed, but somehow it's a good kind of stress- because I'm doing what I love. I'll keep going at it since our little family is really ready for a house!

8 comments:

Twilight Book Club aka Kellie Dickes said...

This book is awesome. Good job. you always amaze me.

TheIcePixy said...

It looks really good, and I love how he wrote the story in rhyme. I may have to buy this one here soon. Congrats on yet another published work!

Lara and Jayson said...

Congratulations on another amazing accomplishment! I think I might have to go out and buy this book too. I am very intrigued by this digital painting stuff, I am very impressed with how the pictures turn out.

Shannon Christensen said...

Well done Shawna! I'm so glad for your successes.

Manelle said...

Your Welcome. They really turned out nice. I think some of these should go in your portfolio. They look great to me.

Will said...

Well done Shawna! I can't believe this is your first digital work - doesn't look like it - nice color, design, drawing!

Amber's Illustrations said...

Shawna
So do you ever use models for your characters? because if they did come straight from your head, they are so impressive. I love your new site. Did Warren do that? I'm impressed. I'm hoping that I'll have more time this summer to start participating in the critiques again. I've been booked up taking classes at Bridge Academy of Art in Provo this month. Just to get a feel for their method of academic training and to brush up on my drawing skills. Now I love drawing more than ever. I can't live without it. Good luck with all your success.

Fields of Heather said...

It's beautiful. I'm going to have to get it now!