Sunday, March 15, 2009

Forum on Children's Literature 2009

This past Thursday and Friday, I was able to go to the Forum on Children's Literature, held annually at Utah Valley University. I had a fun time even though this year was a bit more quiet. Last year in the gallery of illustration there were a ton of participants- like 15. This year there were only five. So that gives you an idea of how it was. But I was inspired as always, and my favorite part was hearing from my favorite writer, Shannon Hale. She is Hillarious! She also knows what she's talking about! Other key note speakers were Abby Ranger, editor at Hyperion Books for Children and illustrator Robert Neubecker. I have written a little about things that I learned at the conference on the CBBFI blog, and hope to write a few more things soon. So stay tuned.

I even made it into the Daily Harold Newspaper. Click here to see the link. There is a large picture of Shannon Hale up on top and then you can click on the smaller picture underneath and see ME! It's a picture of me in the figure drawing session- I am the weirdo sitting up front.

Speaking of the figure drawing session, here's what I came up with. I wish I could go to figure drawing sessions all the time, because they are so helpful and I miss drawing from a live model. I learn so much every time I do!



Here's a picture of me with my BFF Shannon Hale. You can totally tell that we're BFF's right? I mean, look at that smile on her face. She was so happy to see me, and she only had to call security once.

Now no one can dispute that Shannon and I are absoluetly best friends. She even wrote it in my Goose Girl book. Do you think the knife in her back was going a bit too far? Really, it was just one of those plastic butter knifes.

4 comments:

Twilight Book Club aka Kellie Dickes said...

How Fun is that. I love Shannon Hale as well. I am glad you had fun and I love seeing your illustrations. So totally awesome.

TheIcePixy said...

Lol!

What an awesome post! That's so cool you got to here her speak! I only discovered her just a few months ago! I haven't read any of her books yet, but when I have money again I'm so there!

Haws said...

Nice job Shawna. I don't have the courage to post my figure drawing on the web. I just found out that I am in the Daily Herald too. Thats what I get for sitting next to a celebrity. I love your illustrations they are great and uplifting.

I would like to join your secret art critique. If I may? I have a lot to offer and it would be a great learning experience.
PS I won't bring anybody.

Manelle said...

Love it!