Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My take on "When Pigs Fly" and IF: Breezy #1

I am modifying my original post slightly to be an Illustration Friday post since it goes along so well with the topic "Breezy."

Here's a piece I did for promotion. This is one of those illustrations that took lots and lots of drawing and redrawing (and frustration) to get to the final sketch. Sometimes you just have to struggle until you get it. . . .better. I got some good suggestions from my crititque groupies. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than my first drawings.

It's kind of funny, I've been doing a lot more work than I can actually show because it hasn't been published yet. It seems like most of the work I've been doing has been done on the computer. Yet most of the work on this blog is in acrylics (excluding my last two posts). I guess this is because I really like the look of acrylics so I do it for my promotional work, but computer is much quicker for fast jobs. Right now I am working on another reader about a boy and his grandpa on a boat. Hopefully I will have a couple good things to show you after the job is published. I will be spending the next few weeks trying to catch up on that job and trying to crank out another promotional piece for Picture Book- not to mention trying to be a good mom. :) So that's what I'm up to art-wise. I hope all of you are working on some great art too. Thanks for everyone who comments on this blog, I really enjoy reading them!

23 comments:

roz said...

Your pig scene is FABULOUS. Love it.

Bethany and Thomas said...

I love his cute piggy feet a flailin!

Candace Trew Camling said...

this is really nice and VERY inspiring!

Kactiguy said...

Love it!

Becky said...

Thus looks great! I love how the pig goes beyond the frame :)

Shannon said...

Great you have so much work. And I love to look through the Friend to see what you've done next.

TheIcePixy said...

That's awesome! Lilly would love it! Pigs are one of her favorites . . . I
'll have to show her when she wakes up from her nap.

sdzsmith said...

Love the perspective and the the piggy coming out of the scene! Very fun - makes me smile.

cathyjune said...

I think this is a wonderful illustration. It looks perfect to me!

John said...

wow I love everything about this....I need to go back to school and learn some more about how to color my art!

Cathy Witbeck said...

I just visited your website. It is so cool. I especially liked your bio. what a fun story. As always, your artwork is stellar! Your pig rocks.

Jack Foster said...

awesome illustration. I've just gotta check out your website. You are very talented.

tusen said...

I love the perspective and the composition. The velvety fields are very nice, too.

noviembre said...

i LOVE it, especially the sky and the use of colors, great job!

Dustin Pike said...

maybe the big bad wolf really huffed and piffed this time.

Valerie Lorimer said...

This is fabulous all around! Charming.

Pea said...

so beautiful!I love the farms and the pastures in the illustration and the sky is so breezy !

SLW said...

I love the look on the pig's face. Very nice illustration!

Cheryl said...

The perspective, movement and busting out of the picture plane...all add up to great work.

kabini amin said...

the composition is so adorable, and i love the fact that you broke the frame!

Fadas & C.ยช said...

The design is simply AMAZING! Love the draw, the colours and especially the composition! Congratullations!

Roberta said...

Your work is wonderful!
Such fun!

Andrew W. Moir said...

Awesome work! A perfect illustration. :)