Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Black and white drawings





It's been almost a year, but I finally finished a few black and white drawings to go along with my Middle Grade novel cover sample. I have a couple more in mind that I want to do, but who knows when I'll have time to do that. So I'll post these for right now.

I was looking at the cabin with the moon picture and realized that it is really cliche. In fact, I realized after I finished it, that it resembles the famous scene from "The Nightmare Before Christmas" with the curly hill. I didn't even think about that when I was drawing the hill, it just ended up being curly. I really wasn't trying to copy anyone. Oh well.

I tried a new technique on these black and whites, and I really like the results. I did a pencil under drawing, shaded it digitally, printed it on Arches watercolor paper, and finished it with charcoal. This technique is much faster than doing the whole image with charcoal. I am going to try this technique with colored illustrations and pastel pencils.

8 comments:

Lara and Jayson said...

Those are awesome! I didn't think "Nightmare Before Christmas" about your cabin picture until you mentioned it, and I love that movie! I think it is still full of enough of your own flavor that you can't be called a copy-cat :)

Manelle said...

They turned out soooo cool. Good ideas. I know you were wondering about what to do. It totally works. Very inspiring.

jennifer said...

These all look really good. Personally, I don't think you should worry too much about the curly hill.

Shannon said...

Nice, new technique. Post the color ones when you get around to it. I'd like to see that too. You're doing great work.

Sell...Party Of 3 said...

You have AMAZING talent!! I can't belive it! I am so jealous.

I got your e-mail obviously from facebook, but your family blog is private. =( I would love an invite though...
sellbabyphat@gmail.com

I will definitely add you to my links! Thanks for responding!!

Old Bones . . . said...

Great composition, and emotion on the characters. Thank you so much for sharing you talents.

Aaron said...

Hey this is some pretty cool stuff here! love your Christmas mailer!!

Sarah said...

Are these for a book? If so it definetally looks like one I would read!