Sunday, September 28, 2008

It's been a while!

Wow, I was really getting tired of looking at that not so wonderful mermaid every time I came to this blog! I finally have something else to put on my blog. The reason I haven't been posting is not because I have not been doing anything, it's because I have only been working on jobs that I have to wait until they are published to share. So here is a couple of illustrations I did for The Friend Magazine, September issue. It's for an article entitled, "It Pays to Listen."


Here's some news from the drawing board of Shawna J.C. Tenney:

I have been learning a lot about painting digitally on Photoshop- some from doing it on my own, some from friends. I decided the only way to learn the computer was to just dive in and start using it. So I was working on a little religious book of "The Prodigal Son" and decided to paint the whole thing on the computer. At first it went very slow, but things got faster as I worked and learned. I think they turned out pretty good- there are still some things I want to improve, but overall I think I made the finished products look almost like my acrylic paintings. I will post some illos from that book when it is published. By the way, this does not mean I want to go totally digital. I just thought it would be good to have a faster and cheaper way to get through those jobs that don't give me very much time and don't pay a lot of money.

I really hope to have my new website up by next month. I'm going to do this! I PROMISE!!

I went down to a lecture at BYU by illustrator Rudy Gutierrez, which was very inspiring. Here are a couple of things I wrote down in my notes.

Style is inside you- it's what you're feeding yourself (in other words, it grows from the things you look at).

When you have a gift, it's your responsibility to uplift and inspire others.

Know your value- along with that comes perseverance. Believe in yourself.

Art is therapy. Art is medicine. Respect it.

6 comments:

Julie in the studio said...

YEAH!!! Something new. I was just about to fuss at you to put something new up, I am so glad you beat me to it.
Love ya!

Lara and Jayson said...

I saw your drawings in The Friend and knew they were yours before I even saw the name! I always look for your work whenever The Friend comes in the mail! :) For some reason it makes me happy when I see your stuff in there. I guess I remember being a little kid and looking at all the pictures in The Friend and now I actually know someone who does the pictres! Speaking of people you know in The Friend, a few months ago I saw a story in there from Ray Goldrup!

Shawna said...

Hurray! I always thought it would be so cool to illustrate one of Brother Goldrup stories in the Friend. Maybe one day I will!

Manelle said...

I saw your paintings in the friend. they are so much cool in real life when there isn't text over them. I can't wait to see your prodigal illustrations.

Ale said...

ahhhhhh!!! Something day I will be studing in BYU!!! jijiji! Really this job it´s very good and inspired!

Thanks for this note!

princesstomato said...

I saw your latest work in the Friend too. :) I love Rudy's pearls o' wisdom. Sounds like a wonderful lecture!!!

teri