Friday, March 14, 2008

The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Here's my version of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" with animals. This came from a character I was working on that eventually evolved into a goat sorcerer. Random.

Manelle, is the light on the wand "lighty" enough now?


Here is the first character I did- a mean school master goat. Warren didn't like him because he was too mean. Maybe it brought back bad memories of a mean teacher Warren once had.

So he evolved into the sorcerer from "The Sorcerer's Apprentice." I was stubborn and wouldn't just start from the beginning and draw the guy over because I liked him too much. That was my downfall. I tried over and over to compose a good picture without redrawing everything from the beginning. Finally Warren told me that I just needed to start over- something that none of us like hear, but something that all of us need to sometimes. He helped with the new composition by drawing a little thumbnail. Brilliant how that helps! This thumbnail helped tremedously since I had a generally good idea, but I wasn't pulling it off very well. Thanks Warren! I'd probably would be a lame artist if I didn't have friends to help me out.

I'm using this illustration for my Directory of Illustration 2009 Ad.

3 comments:

Jeff Brame said...

I really dig these Shawna you did an awesome job!!

glorifiedg said...

Well, I don't know what Manelle thinks, but I think this light is a lighty light. I think it might be just right. It's also white despite. It's mighty bright and quite a sight. Isn't that right? Good night.

Manelle said...

It's very lighty, but I don't have any little rhymes to tell you how great of a lighty it is so you will have to refer to our friend above.