Friday, March 14, 2008

IF: Heavy

While you IF people are here, I posted two more paintings today that are not for IF. So check those out above- critiques are welcome!

"Although I do enjoy the color of this "boa" with my dress, for some reason it seems to be a lot more heavy than my other one." Okay, okay, so that was really lame, but it works, right?

I wanted to show that sometimes you need to draw and draw before you get something right, which can be frustrating at the time. But working through things can be worth it in the end.


Here is the end product, which is far from perfect, but a lot better than what I started out with. I got a lot of help from my critique group. By the way, if you are not a part of a critique group in your area, you should start one. Not only is it so fun to have close artsy friends, it also improves your art and keeps you motivated! :) I displayed this piece in the BYU Alumni show, and I'm using it for my Picture Book ad for 2009.

Here's what I started out with. All I knew is that I wanted to make a female villain wearing a boa constrictor boa. Notice that the snake is all kind of the same thickness and not very scary. There wasn't much in the picture that told us anything about the lady's personality. What is she even doing?
Here I improved the snake and added the mirrors and perfume bottles. But YIKES! Look at that reflection!
In this sketch, the reflection is better, but still needs some work- not a very convincing angle. For the final, I made the snakes head larger and redrew the reflection-- which by the way is still not perfect (reflections are DANG hard), but better. I probably should have done something more interesting for the lighting- All well. The one thing I did like was how her skin tones turned out. I am working on making better skin tones for my Caucasian characters (I have other races down pretty well). On the Caucasians, their skin tends to come out too bright and orangy.

It's important to draw, design, draw, have a better plan, draw, draw before going to finish. Because things that are better planned can be the difference between good and great. This doesn't fall in the great category because what I should have done is just start over from the beginning.

Anyway, I wanted to say thanks to Warren, Manelle, Jeni, Julie, Sherry, Melinda etc etc etc for you're help on this one.

16 comments:

Kate said...

Very nice. I enjoyed seeing the process and the finished piece. Very nice colors and perspective.

murphy girl said...

great image, like the perspective!

Suzy said...

Shawna,

I enjoyed reading about your process, and the finished product is FABULOUS!

Also, I really got a lot out of your "My art is not a hobby" entry. I just ordered the book: Graphic Artists Guild Handbook, and am picking it up at the store on my lunch break. I just got my first paying gig and so far it's turning out that I will be making about $5 an hour! Oops!

Kristi Valiant said...

Very nice. Thanks for posting your sketch process. It's always fun to see how an image changes in composition.

ValGalArt said...

It totally works!!!

Melissa Kojima said...

Yeah, this is fun. I like it.

Nguyet said...

I love the illustration! and very appreciative of your advice and for sharing the process.

Reminds me that great work takes patience and dedication and hard work. :)

andi butler said...

beautiful perspective and technique! faboo!!

a : )

danshultz said...

Nice job, illustration looks great

Diana Evans said...

wow...this is wonderful...love the perspective and color

remorji said...

I can see how hard it must be to try and get the reflection just right. The lower hand looks very good. All together it is a fine piece.

johanna said...

you do great work, shawna!

NANCY LEFKO said...

beautiful, beautiful work.....

JO said...

Great piece, love the sketches. Your work is wonderful.

thedoodlegirl said...

You are incredible! Love this!

lil kim said...

that's awesome! love the perspective.