Monday, January 28, 2008

IF: Tales and Legends

I know this isn't the traditional way to do IF, but the theme fit with me introducing my newly published book. "King Josiah and God's Book is the tale of King Josiah from the Bible. It's an Arch Book published by Concordia Publishing house. I did this book during the summer and it's just been published! I am posting the illustrations that I thought turned out the best. This is the first book that I am almost proud of illustrating.

By the way, be sure to check out a new blog I am doing with my friend Manelle Oliphant entitled "Children's Books Blog for Illustrators. It's a blog for illustrators who love children's books- book reviews, illustration tips and advice, art quotes and articles, and we have many more great plans. The URL is www.cbbfi.blogspot.com. Check it out!






10 comments:

remorji said...

I try to find bible books for my daughter. In doing so I look for books with at least one or two black people in the scenes to let her know black people mattered in the bible. Your work is beautiful but, I would like you to take this into consideration if you ever have to do another bible story. Just a thought, I hope I am not sounding too brash, if so sorry.

hatrabbit said...

Beautiful work, lovely use of colour.

Andrew Moir said...

Beautiful and vibrant! Great style and color choices. I notice a couple perspective issues, but only after I was knocked out by your very nice work. :) I hope your book about this great Bible story gets God's word into a lot of kid's hands. :)

Vhrsti said...

Wonderful! Really amazing illustrations!

Jeff Brame said...

Incredible work, love the perspective on the 3rd illo. Great stuff.

Manelle said...

I really think the character you created for this is so great!

Julie Hammond said...

I love your whimsy on such a serous matter. I love the fact that you portrayed the Bible characters in their true race, Israeli. Your work is beautiful. Congratulations on your book!

Kristi Valiant said...

You have just the right amount of detail and simplicity for these books. Beautiful color. I'm also glad that you made the characters look like the race that they truly are. May the Lord use these books for His glory.

Dee said...

What fantastic images! Your color is so lovely and the compositions are very dynamic. You have a great eye for detail. Lovely job! OH, and congrats on the new blog with your pal. I hope you guys gets as much out of it as you put into it!

roz said...

This looks like a beautifully illustrated book, Shawna!
Your style is so rich and fun to look at.
I'm a fan.