Tuesday, May 01, 2007

IF: Remember

Well, I guess this one works for "Remember" since it could be considered historical, right? Anyway, I thought it was about time I did an Illustration Friday since I've been getting the emails for a year!

Well, Janet wanted me to do another tween sample. I couldn't think of any story but "The Goose Girl," by Shannon Hale which I recently listened to on book on tape whilst I was painting. So this sample is kind of based on that, although it could be another story. The thing I really enjoy is that every time I paint, I learn. On this painting, I had a fun time learning more about light, shadow and reflective light and the colors I could use. I not only had a fun time trying to figure out what to use in the skin tones, but I also learned some things about the characteristics of satin. I also had to rework the composition of the whole thing several times. It's hard to make a good novel cover. I had another composition, which I started painting. Then Warren came home from school and pointed out that the composition was pretty "static." (I just love being married to an artsy fartsy). I painted on that painting some more, but finally decided just to start over. I am very glad that I did, because this one works a lot better (although it is far from perfect). I also decided to make it a night scene so I could put that big moon in there. I am really glad I did because I really like the colors I used for the lights and shadows. I looks a lot better than my first attempt. Thats all for now folks!

13 comments:

roz said...

HI Shawna,
It really did come out well! I love it and the illustration tells a story. I want to know what's going to happen next!
Do you work in a acrylics? What's your favorite brand?

M. Dinardi said...

Really nice range of colors especially in the shadows, the reflected light gives image an other-worldly quality. Traditonal media? Neat!

*Shawna said...

Thank you guys for your nice comments. Yeah, I work in acrylics. I use Liquitex Soft Body Acrylics, the kind that comes in the jars.

mike r baker said...

Beautiful piece!!! You have enormous talent. I love the styling, colors, and lighting here. Stunning!

janie said...

It's lovely, I'd definitely judge this book by it's cover and pick it up:D

trudette said...

Beautiful, very dreamlike, I love it.

DesigningFairy said...

beautiful composition and characters!

~Valarie~ said...

great style : )

Bron Smith said...

I really like your style and your color sense. I'll look for more of your work on IF.

Jay said...

Hey Shawna-
Great stuff. IF is a good thing. So many people looked at my stuff this week. I'm a first timer too.

arvindh said...

love the expression!

ValGalArt said...

Beautifully done!

glorifiedg said...

Very lovely darling.